Hampden-Sydney students fall ill

On January 31, Hampden-Sydney College announced that they would be closing the college until February 4 due to a fast spreading virus called NoroVirus.

The virus is a gastrointestinal virus that causes nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and sometimes fevers. It spreads easily by coming into contact with contaminated surfaces. Even though they are our rivals, we have to give credit where credit is due.

Hampden Sydney did everything they could have to prevent and control the spread of the virus.

“H-SC, like most college campuses, does a good job of keeping facilities clean and informing the community of illnesses such as this one and how to protect yourself from contracting the illness. Unfortunately, in some cases, you can do everything correct and illness can still spread,” Kara Daniel, Director of Student Health at Randolph Macon said.

The virus affected over 300 of the college’s students. On January 28, the school sent a notification of multiple ill students and advised the students of symptoms, prevention, and advised students to go to the Emergency Room and Wellness Center if they were experiencing any of the symptoms.

“It was the worst I have ever felt. I would not even wish it on my worst enemy,” Hampden-Sydney sophomore Jamal Woolridge said.

The school had to follow the Department of Health guidelines and have every building on campus environmentally cleaned.

Since our campus is small and everyone shares most of the same space, it would be easy for a viral illness to spread just as rapidly here as it did at Hampden Sydney.

“Your best defense is keeping your hands washed and keeping your living and working spaces clean. If you are ill, keep your distance from others to avoid transmission,”

“We do our best to keep the community informed if there are illnesses present on campus that require a little more attention, like influenza for example (“the flu”),”

“The community is usually informed by email about the illness and how to best protect yourself from contracting the illness,” Daniel said.

With the semester just starting, be sure to wash hands frequently.

-Madison Guidry ’16, Senior Features Editor

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>